Sunday, January 24, 2010

Homework

Of course, what kid doesn't hate homework? A better question, what kid doesn't hate school in general? For the most part, the chances that they like school in general is slim and none. I however do like school. The thing that I don't like, is what we learn in school. Most of the classes that we have in high school, are suppose to get us ready for real life, but thats not the case. When are we ever going to have to know our past history or other country's past history if we are going to be a mailman? How about being a journalist, and having to use the distance formula on our papers? My answer, and feel free to disagree with me, is about never. We shouldn't have to learn the in-depth things unless we wish to make a career using it, then we can go to college for that. I want to be a journalist, and i will not need half of the things I am learning in school as of now. How are we getting prepared for life after school, if we are not learning the basics in things that are going to be used in everyday life. If we want to go into higher levels of education and more in-depth, then let us make that decision on our own.

1 comment:

  1. You make a very valid point.

    The educational system in Germany starts kids in high school on the path that they want to be in their future careers. They can choose to do in depth classes on what they want, with just taking basic knowledge courses in the ones they don't. Some kids even go into a trade school right out of middle school, depending on what they want to do.

    Only trouble with that is... what if they change their minds, or don't yet know. I totally didn't know until I was a couple years into my college career.

    I showed this to Ben, and he agrees with you too. High school should be mostly basic knowledge stuff. And I agree too. I took Algebra II twice cuz I didn't want to take pre-cal. And to this day, I've never had to find the square root of an imaginary number. lol

    ReplyDelete